Think outside of the shire for your next snack with lembas bread!
Middle earth recipes with some care for the earth we live on.
Legolas: Lembas bread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man!
Merry: How many did you eat?
In a small bowl, mix:
- 1 tbsp vegan butter/margarine (slightly melted with), 2 tbsp oil, mixed with 3 tbsp. applesauce
- ;arge dash of vanilla
- small dash of lemon juice
In a separate, larger bowl:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
When ready, pour in 1/2 cup soy milk to the large bowl as you stir in the mixture from the small bowl. Form into a dough ball, add more flower if sticky.
Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Roll out into a very thin circle. With a knife, gently slice the dough into 8 triangles. Bake for 14-16 minutes (keep an eye on it to make sure it’s not getting too dark on the bottom - you may have to play with your temperature and timing depending on your oven).
Enjoy with Merry’s mulled cider or Aragorn’s Athelas Tea (without honey, of course!), or even just a cup of Ent milk! (plant based milk alternative - get it?)
Expect your guests to want as much of your Lembas bread as Pippin does!
OMG YES PLEASE
Averie’s (Raw if You Want) 3-Ingredient, 10-Minute Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- 1/2 c melted chocolate (i.e. 2 Full-Size Squares of Melted Baker’s Brand Chocolate because it’s dairy-free, or melt 1/2 c Chocolate Chips, or a Cocoa Powder/Agave/Coconut Oil Mix)
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Nooch (i.e. Nutritional Yeast)
Yields: 2 Peanut Butter Cups.
- First, melt your chocolate (Raw Foodies, use whatever ratios of raw cocoa powder, agave, & coconut oil suits you to keep it raw). I use the 45 seconds in the microwave trick and melted about 1/4 c worth, which is 1 Baker’s Chocolate Full-Sized Square. (You’ll melt the other square later).
- Then, take paper muffin liners and Pour the Melted Chocolate in, just coating the bottom of the liners.
- Mix up the Filling: 2 Tbsp PB + 1/2 Tsp Nooch. Optional: Dash of Salt, Dash of Agave, Dash of Vanilla Extract. This is to your taste and highly subjective, so do as you wish friends, but I think my version is quite Reese’s-like.
- If you’re having a hard time getting your nooch well-incorporated into your PB, zap in the micro for 15 seconds.Spoon the Filling into the now-hardened (or somewhat hardened) Chocolate Layer.
- Pour more Chocolate over the Top.
- Transfer your cups carefully to a plate.
- Put them in the Fridge to Harden Fully.
- Unwrap & Notice the rippled or ruffled Reese’s-like edges.
Vegan cream of roasted broccoflower & garlic soup
Helado de Aguacate
Yeah at first I was like… mmmm then I was mmmmmhhhollllyshit this is amazing!
Tostadas con guacamole
Damn Good Sandwich
- Thinly sliced red onion, tomato, avocado, and cucumber
- Fresh baby spinach
- 2 Slices toasted whole grain bread
- Earth Balance
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Y’all can take it from here right? Just construct the sandwich, very important that you don’t skip out on any non-vegetable ingredient. Use 2 hands or get messy.
This is my new favorite winter cocktail to drink in our neck of the woods, so I named it after our “neighborhood”, Skylonda. I just soak some cinnamon sticks in a jar of bourbon for a few days which gives it a nice spice. Then to the bourbon, I add a few drops of bitters and a splash of dry vermouth. It’s kind of like a Manhattan but not sweet, and it’s garnished with an orange slice instead of a cherry. I like it on the rocks, but you cocktail connoisseurs might prefer it straight up. Cheers!
Photos and illustration © Erin Gleeson
A great way to enjoy a rich and creamy chocolate drink without any dairy.
1 small/medium ripe avocado
1 tablespoon honey
2 table spoons of raw dark cocoa powder
1/2 liter warm water (Not boiling)
Cut the avocado, remove the pit and place the place in the food processor together with the…
Vegan, of course! Recipe here.